St Augustine's Gate outside the City Wall
View of St Augustine's Gate from outside the City Wall by Henry Ninham dated 1791, engraved by Walter Hagreen. St Augustine’s Gate was fortified by Richard Spynk in 1342 with battlements, a portcullis and two ‘espringals’, a type of catapult for hurling great stones. The Hospital of St Mary and St Clement, one of five lazar (leper) houses situated around Norwich’s outskirts once stood just outside St Augustine’s Gate. The Gate was finally demolished in 1794.