A. Thompson's Furniture Store, 11 St Augustine's Street, Norwich, c.1911
Albert Thompson's store at 11 St Augustine's Street sold all manner of household items, from crockery to new and secondhand furniture. Its premises were partly on the site of the Free Trade Tavern, which closed its doors for the last time in June 1910. Interestingly, the last landlord of the Free Trade was one Frederick Cossey. Could he have been related to the John Cossey who kept a druggists next door at No. 9 in the 1860s and who was himself replaced by De Carle's Drug Stores in the 1870s - the firm that eventually became Coleman Opticians?
Now long gone itself, the site of Thompson's furniture store is now occupied by the waiting room and reception area of the very same Coleman's Opticians.
Photo courtesy of Mr P. Coleman & Mr & Mrs Fish of Coeman Opticians