GENERAL HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
Search here for original documents held by the Norfolk Record Office about St Augustine's and some of the people who have lived and worked here.
History of medieval Norwich divided into different periods from the Anglo-Saxon to the late Middle Ages, many featuring people, events and places in Ultra Aquam or Norwich 'Over the Water', the area north of the River Wensum in which St Augustine's and the Gildencroft is situated.
(enter your postcode or a place name then press search). Provides a vision of Britain between 1801 and 2001, including maps, statistical trends and historical descriptions.
ST AUGUSTINE’S CHURCH AND ITS BELLS
Scholarly analysis of the age, construction and fabric of the building.
Well-illustrated survey of the medieval church of
Website of the Churches Conservation Trust, in whose care St Augustine’s church now resides.
The Norwich Historic Churches Trust’s web page on
St Augustine’s church.
An illustrated survey of the carved memorials in St Augustine's church.
Information on the three bells formerly in St Augustine’s church tower, which were given to All Saints church, Carleton Rode, Norfolk, in 1998.
STREETS, SHOPS, PUBS AND OTHER BUILDINGS
Search here for superb photographs of streets, yards and buildings in the St Augustine's area taken in the 1930s and later by George Plunkett.
Illustrated history of Coleman Opticians, which has traded in St Augustine’s Street since 1945. Its predecessor, De Carle’s the Chemists, had premises on the same site in the 19th century.
Information on St Augustine’s long-lost post-mill.
Archaeological report on Anglia Square area.
Historical information on the many public houses that once traded in the St Augustine’s area, including Anchor of Hope, Boatswains Call, Britannia Tavern, Bushel, Catherine Wheel, Cherry Tree, Duke of Sussex, Dunn Cow, Free Trade Tavern, Globe, Jolly Skinners, Key and Castle, Kings Arms, Queen Adelaide, Pineapple, Prince of Wales, Rose Inn, Royal Oak, Shuttles, Spread Eagle, Staff of Life, Sussex Arms, Tabors Folly and Wine Coopers Arms.
Contains detailed history of the 15th-century Great Hall in Oak Street.
Information of Norwich's medieval city wall and gates from the ‘Norwich City Wall Survey 1999–2002’, with images of St Augustine's Gate past and present, and an arrow loop in the wall near St Martin-at-Oak Wall Lane.
Searchable list of the names of the yards and courts of Norwich, many of which were located in the St Augustine's area.
Read here about the old parish workhouse, formerly a lazar house or leper's hospital, which once stood outside St Augustine's Gate.
PEOPLE ASSOCIATED WITH ST AUGUSTINE’S PARISH
List of local people’s surnames found in the 1891 Census of St Augustine’s.
Information about the 19th-century author and social activist Amelia Opie, who is buried in the Gildencroft Quaker cemetery.
(click on ‘Other Poets’ and then scroll down to ‘Opie, Amelia’). Photograph of the grave of Amelia Opie.
Information about the 18th-century Norwich-born architect Matthew Brettingham, who is buried in St Augustine's church.
Ilustrated biography of Matthew Brettingham, based on his entry in the Oxford Dictionary of Nationary Biography.
SACTRA cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy of the information or for the opinions expressed in any of the websites listed here.